August 9, 2008

Bernie Mac


"I see Hermes, unsuspected, dying, well-beloved, saying to the people, “Do not weep for me, This is not my true country, I have lived banished from my true country — I now go back there, I return to the celestial sphere where every one goes in his turn.” ~~Walt Witman

Goodbye Bernie, thank you for laughter you inspired and your light.

I always thought I'd like this poem read when I died, it seems fitting to share it here.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep

I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glint on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the early morning rain

Hush, when you wake in the morning
I am the swift uplifting rush of circling birds in flight
I am the soft starlight at night

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep

~~Author Unknown

2 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

That poem is beautiful, very Epicurean.
I remember somebody quoting it at my Great Aunt's funeral, so it has particular meaning for me too.

Unknown said...

Much sadness for the loss of Bernie Mac, he was a funny guy.